Saturday, February 5, 2011

Art 37

Here is the bag, made out of an old umbrella, that I worked so hard on. I sewed 'til my fingers bled! No, I'm exaggerating. It is hand-sewn, however - I get a little carried away with sewing machines - so it took quite awhile. Then it tore, so I had to repair it. That also took quite awhile.

A larger version of this can be seen here.

Stuffed to capacity with newspaper.

On a white sheet, you can see how grey the bag is. This is because the lining is black, and it shows
 through the white a little. You might also be able to make out some faint, vertical, yellowish marks.
They don't wash out - I think they're age marks, or something. The umbrella was at least 20 years old.
I tend to think of it as my cursed bag of holding. It fits an extraordinary number of things, but once within the bag they're difficult to find. During repairs, I added a couple zip pockets, so now it's slightly less cursed.

Meanwhile, last year I took some photos in the backyard, and I've now got around to uploading the one I like best. The critters are cardboard things, packing from some sort of device, or something. I shaped them a little and drew on eyes. I like the sort of hot, over-bright feel of this picture.

A larger version can be seen here.

3 comments:

  1. That is awesome :D Great recycling idea too! Did you work from a pattern or make your own up? Would love to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. looks great.

    I guarantee someone on the street will stop you and ask 'where did you buy that? can I get one?'

    love the cardboard critters. I imagine a herd of them peacefully grazing in a field somewhere, or an army of them steadily converging on my house.

    http://objectsofvirtue.blogspot.com/

    http://elementallight.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the comments :D

    I didn't use a pattern, just sort of made it up as I went along. There was lots of unpicking and starting over.

    I would've loved to photograph a whole herd of the critters, but there were only two.

    ReplyDelete