Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Art 39

Well, month(s) since I last posted anything here... I undoubtedly have excuses, but I can't seem to remember them at the moment. So, on with the important stuff.

Lately* I've begun collecting stamps. Or rather, I've finally figured out how to remove them from the envelopes without destroying them (soak them in water). Thank you, internet! But why collect stamps, I hear you cry?* They're small, portable, highly public pieces of art, of course. I like the incredible variety of images in them. Everything from the staid profiles of royalty to paintings of cats to mysterious art deco logos. All delightfully miniaturised. When I get brave I may put some pictures of my collection up...
*- More or less.
An example of a stamp, vaguely rendered by me, and featuring Micky.


In other news, I recently signed up for free weekly samples from Dover publishing. They publish a range of stuff including colouring-in books, and books featuring royalty-free clip-art, and things. Inspiration abounds, possibly. Here's their website: http://store.doverpublications.com/index.html

Lately I've come across a lot of old greeting cards. Not too old - they reach as far back as the seventies. I'm thinking of photographing and uploading a range of 'em... There's something interesting and strange (to me, anyway) about the pictures used to communicate well-wishes.

Meanwhile, still working on the quad type-1 koch snowflakes, and the cryptomnesia piece. I've also borrowed a few books from the library in regards to some designs I want to embroider/cross-stitch/whatever on the handbags I'll eventually be making from the shiel pack. Aside from that, I've been woefully non-productive on the art side of things. My energy levels have just plummeted this past couple months. I blame the doctor for telling me to cut back on caffeine. It's vital!

I've also been woefully (woe! woe!) negligent in keeping up to date with the webcomics I'm trying to follow. Several weeks (if not years) behind now on all of them.

Last Friday my sister and I went to the exhibition of the South West Survey (or South West Times Survey? South West Times Art Survey? Ah, whatever) art competition, held at the Bunbury Regional Art Gallery. There was some brilliant work that we both loved and were freaked out by. It was incredibly inspirational this time (there's so many things I need to start work on!), and in some ways the reason for this post, so I thought I'd better mention it.

2 comments:

  1. thank you for your april 13 comment.

    & yes...

    ...I am an unapologetic Spongebob superfan. in a world of ceaseless horror, cruelty and mean-spiritedness Spongebob Squarepants' world remains a tiny polestar of antic happiness and joy.

    stamps and greeting cards are cool things to collect. my weaknesses are victorian/early 20th century postcards and photographs.

    p.s. this must be the URL for your aforementioned art exhibit at the Bunbury Regional Art Gallery:

    http://www.brag.org.au/sys/exhibition/exhibition.php?id=42

    their website reads thus:

    'welcome to the Bunbury Regional Art Galleries.'

    'housed in a distinctive pink former convent, the Bunbury Regional Art Galleries is situated in the city centre of Bunbury, a two minute stroll to the CBD to the east and the sparkling Indian Ocean to the west.'

    sounds idyllic.

    always new posts at:

    http://objectsofvirtue.blogspot.com/

    http://elementallight.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank you for your april 15 comment...

    ... & thank you for your compliments.

    yes, I do exhibit my photographs when I can. if there is a particular photograph you would like I can email you a higher resolution digital file (which you may print) or I can print a photograph and send it to you. I can print any size up to 8.5" x 11" (216 x 279mm).

    let me know which is best for you.

    - starman76

    http://objectsofvirtue.blogspot.com/

    http://elementallight.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete