Friday, September 2, 2011

Art 40

Home again home again, jiggity jig.

Well, another lengthy pause. The reason this time is largely Depression (with a capital D, of course). The psychiatrist has now increased my meds, however, and I have been showing improvement. Hooray!
I've been largely non-productive the past few months, due to this. Hopefully* this will change/ is changing/ has changed.
* Really really hopefully, fingers crossed and everything.

There is some art news, though. Recently my sister and I ventured to Perth for an Art Trip. The plan was to wander around, taking photos and sketching things, browse galleries, etc, with rather less focus on shopping(!) than usual. This did not work out as forseen, as I will now relate.
A week before we set out, I was informed (through the glossy hyperspace of Social Media) of an event by the name of The Great Steampunk Affaire. This was held at Scitech, and featured a range of costumed revellers examining various displays, munching on cupcakes, and imbibing tea and alcohol, all after closing hours. This over-took our plans somewhat, and we hurried to make some costumes and things, eager to attend.
Thus distracted, we flew* around on Saturday, shopping for extra bits and pieces (mostly goggles - the requisite steampunk accessory). Had a jolly good time that night, though our own humble efforts were outshone by those with more skill and time, and, er, less dress size.
On Sunday we managed to do some actual art, too. But mostly we didn't do anything. We were tired.
*walked quite slowly, actually.

On Monday, before we returned home that evening, we wandered the central area of Perth (more shopping) and came across several interesting street art pieces commissioned by the city council, or something. I took lots of photos. It was interesting, comparing the commissioned pieces with the 'free-style' art - the general graffitti found around the place.

Anyway, here are some photos:

Me on steampunk night.












A possible favourite of the commissioned work. This lane is off Hay St Mall, pointing south.


****


And there's been almost a month's break since I started this! Things - and Things with a capital T, at that - kept happening. So I figure I better post this now while I have the chance. o.o More later, hopefully.


No comments:

Post a Comment