Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Art 48

Computer broke for a bit. Angst! Horror! Drama! It was awful, not only did i not have internet access, I couldn't stare at all my files and procrastinate! Four exclamations marks have been used in this post already, that's how terrible it was.

But now it's fixed. Hooray! I briefly* fell in love with the IT guy, the way one does with the doctor looking after your ill child, or, more to the point with me, the vet looking after your scratched-up cat. Siiigh. But I'm over it, it's all good, strictly professional relationship resumed. Next computer step is to buy a laptop, so I can take my work with me when I travel. Work other than a sketch book, that is.
*- about two minutes. Tops.

Meanwhile... Well. I finished sorting all the cryptomnesia pieces into colours! Awesome. Now I'm slowly and laboriously arranging them over a trial picture, which I may do several times before embarking on the final piece. It's a shot of Laura Palmer*, slightly recoloured so I can use snips that aren't exclusively blue-grey.
*- Twin Peaks!* Spooooky!
*- warning: tvtropes.org will ruin your life.
All the bits mashed together.
Trial piece with recoloured pic of Laura Palmer.
I drag and drop the snips over the pic.
Here you can see the snips I've arranged so far. Still a long way to go.

Have also started work on the cryptomnesia grid piece I mentioned in another post. Pixel by pixel. It may* take some time.
*- it will.
The pale blue is to differentiate the background from all the other
colours, for easy-to-use-ness.

In other news, I did a sketch of an idea I had while falling asleep. Some slightly grisly thing (hint - it involves teeth). No photos yet. Want to work on it more - had a couple ideas for other versions of it, to make it better, etc. It's the first home sketch I've done on an actual easel, though, which somehow seems important to me.

I also downloaded a journal app for my clever clever phone, to help keep a record of the art-making process. It FAILED. Well, it ate all my credit, so I deleted it. There are others I haven't tried yet... I should just get a polaroid camera and keep a physical journal, because that would be cool. Also super fucking expensive. Damn it, world, just give me more money! Then I'll show you! I'll show you ALL! (Note to google analytics/adsense - please don't take the previous statements as an excuse to send me more get-rich-quick ads. Thank you.)

Also! While I didn't have computer access, I started work on another project. It's a sort of... Well, I took seven struts from a broken umbrella, tied them together, and I'm now filling in the gaps with acrylic yarn. It's pretty weird so far. Vaguely sun-like, vaguely dream-catcher-ish, and mostly like a web made by an intoxicated spider.* Again, no photos yet. Really want to finish it, I'm curious to see how it's going to turn out.
*- google it. science is Crazy.

More newsish stuff - I looked at my deviantart print account tonight and recoiled in horror.* I like my idea of having everything in postcard-size-only, sort of thing, but the selection of pictures there... Ew ewwww. I'm reassured that even great artists are cringey of their work as years go by. Nevertheless, action must be taken! But what action? I could just shut the whole thing down and start again somewhere else. It wouldn't be much of a trauma - in five years I've made just over seven bucks with it, mostly through buying my own prints. But then what? I could find another site to sell on, I guess, or sell things through my main deviantart account. Decisions decisions.
Or I could sort of clean up the print account... Upload some new stuff, take away crappy old stuff. I dunno. I like the idea of starting over, though.
In any case, it's something that needs sorting out. I'm just not sure which direction to go with things.
*- slight inward cringing, more like, but that it isn't nearly dramatic enough.

I think that's it for now... Oh wait, there's more. I'm making a 3D fractal tree thing in Second Life now. Not properly fractal, given that infinity is a little difficult to fit inside the standard PC, but it shows/will show that kind of multiple branching that I'm so obsessed with. Currently up to 4 iterations, hooray. It always amazes me how quickly it gets complicated - 3 iterations is already quite a lot of branches. That's what being exponential does for ya.



No comments:

Post a Comment