Monday, October 11, 2010

Art 28

Art, making art, thinking about art, writing about art, has been difficult for me lately, due to various Things. Ah well. The cryptomnesia piece is about all I've got going at the moment.

I have, however, been going to the library lately. I borrowed the book Martian Time-Slip, by Philip K Dick, then had to take it back when I realised I wanted to read it when I own it. Anyway, as books get republished, or published in different countries, they often have different cover-art - particularly books written quite awhile ago (Martian Time-Slip was first published in 1964). I find the different reinterpretations of the story inside kind of interesting. So, here's the different varieties of Martian Time-Slip I've found online. Unfortunately I don't know who most of the covers were illustrated by.



I like the ghostly buildings in this one. Taken from here.

I don't know if this has been used as an actual book cover, but it certainly should be. I really like it, the old-photo look of the landscape, with it's gold tints, the translucent red, the flares of light in the sky... excellent stuff. Taken from here - definitely well worth a look at the other stuff there, too.



A French edition. I like the way the guy's head looks like it's made out of a school of fish. Found on coverbrowser.com.
 
I like the colours in this one - sort of cold and dusty. Very appropriate for Mars. Taken from the Philip K Dick site.

Something about the layout, I think, really appeals to me in this one. The way one is sort of drawn into the picture as though along a path. Very nice. From coverbrowser.com.

Dooome! A Polish edition. Again from coverbrowser.com.

Wizard's tower. Well-drawn stalagmites. From the PKD site.

Sort of an interesting one, reminiscent of doorways. From here.

Well, there are obviously a lot of different editions about, so I'll break this into more than one post.


No comments:

Post a Comment